Thursday 13 September 2012

diy : buttoned up infinity scarf


As the weather starts cooling down, I thought a perfect way to bring in the fall spirit was to do a diy based on my favourite fall accessory: scarves! I loveee scarves and I especially love the look and the coziness of infinity scarves, so enjoy this very simple and oh-so-cute scarf makeover!

Supplies needed - some old knit scarves, buttons, and leftover pieces of yarn!

First things first, line up your buttons on one end of your scarf.
Make sure they're fairly evenly spaced apart!

Cut out 2 pieces of yarn for your buttons. I doubled up on the yarn for a little more stability.  I chose red yarn to go with my grey scarf to add some warmth and in (yes, very, VERY early) preparation for Christmas-time! I confess, I'm that person that sings Christmas songs months before December, gets ecstatic about the first snowfall, and drink litre after litre of eggnog as soon as it hits the stores.

{  I   N   S   T   R   U   C   T   I   O   N   S  }

1. Take your 2 pieces of yarn, grab a skewer (or something along those lines..) and poke your yarn through your button holes.
2. Using the skewer, poke your yarn through the scarf.
3. Double knot, triple knot, figure eight knot those pieces of yarn!
4. And voila, the back of your scarf should look like so. Grab a pair of scissors and snip off the edges and you're done! 

I am so in love with both of these scarves! They're so cozy and warm and wonderfully fall-ish. Look out for an outfit post featuring these in the future cause they are definitely going to become a staple in my fall wardrobe. Happy fall dear friends!!

p.s.   clara

29 comments:

  1. I love that!!!!! I think I'm going to go to Sally Ann and look for a scarf to do that with. Thanks for a great idea.

    Mama H

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh how perfect. and simple too. i'm going to gather buttons for future endeavors :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just read another gal's comment. She said just my thoughts...I'm off to the second hand store to find a cozy scarf. How very clever! A chance to use those favourite buttons in my collection, yahoo!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is genius! will be attemting!
    cgstyleblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great idea! I barely ever wear my regular scarves but wear my infinity scarves to death. I am definitely going to be doing this to some of my neglected scarves!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Did you shorten your scarf first? They appear shorter than some of the scarves I currently have.

    ReplyDelete
  8. did you cut the scarf to make it shorter? If so, how did you stop it from fraying

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks all for the love! Be sure to send us your photos if you make one yourself =] & no, I didn't shorten my scarves...the one I knit myself so I made it the length I wanted it and the other was just a shorter scarf in general. But I have made some more that are quite a bit longer and they work just as well!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Would be so cute for kids, too, with fun shape buttons!

    ReplyDelete
  11. If you have a scarf that's too long, perhaps you can loop it around twice....

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is great! I didn't have to buy anything and its so easy.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yep! I am going to try this! Right now :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Are the two ends of the scarf sewed together?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. no they're not, only the buttons are holding them together and mine work totally fine that way =]

      Delete
  15. That is such a cute idea! I just posted it here on my german blog: http://schoenstricken.de/2012/11/diy-mache-aus-deinem-alten-schal-einen-loop/
    I hope that is fine with you.
    Best from Berlin, Jessica

    ReplyDelete
  16. could you maybe use and old sweater?

    ReplyDelete
  17. Salvation Army, etc...are great places to find beautiful buttons on horrifying old clothes. Just snip them off and reuse!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love this! Where did you get your buttons?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I got my buttons at a local yarn store =] I've also seen them at craft stores like Michaels and another way I collect buttons is at thrift stores, they often have jars of buttons or I'll look for a cheap sweater that has big buttons that I like! Hope that helps!

      Delete
  19. Wonderful tutorial - I've added this to my list of things I must try!
    New follower to your great blog and I've included a link to this tutorial on my blog :)

    Michele

    ReplyDelete
  20. This is so clever! I am doing this to some of my own scarves. Thanks for the awesome idea!

    All the best,
    Shari<3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome and thanks for leaving a comment! :) We love hearing from our readers!

      Delete
  21. Love this easy idea with fall here and yes Christmas is near, thank you

    ReplyDelete
  22. How simple ~ yet beautiful. Thank-you so much for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Amazing DIY buttoned up infinity scarf! If someone is boring to her scarf, this DIY can be her choice and surely that her simple infinity scarf will turn to the new and unique infinity scarf. Thank you for sharing this DIY and for the tutorial as well.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hope this hasn't been covered. How many rows did you knit for this scarf?

    ReplyDelete
  25. This looks so cute! Can't wait to make mine. ;)

    ReplyDelete

Leave us some love!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...